The beach of Tamaricciu in Corsica is the little sister of Palombaggia.
It has white sand, turquoise water and umbrella pines… but its rocks are in gray tones rather than red.
Here is our practical guide to help you plan your visit to Tamaricciu with map, access, photos, tips…
Why visit the Tamaricciu beach in Corsica?
Known but not known
Tamaricciu is visually more famous than Palombaggia but its name is not very well known.
One of its small coves between the main beach and its neighbor Palombaggia is one of the most photographed places in Corsica.
It’s considered a postcard-perfect with giant grey rocks, clear water and lone pine:
But we think that Tamaricciu should be more known. It is one of the most beautiful beaches of southern Corsica.
It is not very wide but it is a long bay with fine white sand.
The water is crystal clear with a turquoise color. It is very tempting to go swimming!
However, one of the reasons it is not as famous as Palombaggia is that it is not as easy to park and access.
The name Tamaricciu
According to the site of the French Conservatory of Nature, Tamaricciu takes its name from the African Tamaris. This protected species is found behind the dunes.
The name refers to the small cove south of Palombaggia, but has become the name of the long cove as well, which is normally called Beach Folaca.
It continues until the Cap d’Acciagju.
Tamaricciu in Video
Before we share more photos and some tips for planning your visit, here is a short video to give you a snapshot of Tamaricciu Corsica:
You can also find it in our articles about the most beautiful beaches of Porto-Vecchio and the most beautiful beaches of Bonifacio.
More pictures after the practical advice.
Practical Info and Map – Tamaricciu, Corsica
Where is the beach of Tamaricciu? Card
- Tamaricciu is in South Corsica
- Tamariccu is located along the road to Palombaggia
- It is just west of Palombaggia beach (you can walk from one to the other)
- Porto-Vecchio to Tamaricciu = 20min
- Bonifacio to Tamaricciu = 40min
- And see all our tips for planning a dream trip to Corsica here
- Here is a map to help you find your way:
OUR TIPS FOR RENTING A CAR IN Corsica
- Compare prices on our preferred platform: DiscoverCars – one of the best rated sites.
- Choose a car that is powerful enough (the roads are steep) but compact (some passages are narrow).
- Think of thecomplete insurance (some roads are tortuous and narrow).
- There is a lot of demand, book it early.
How to get to Tamaricciu?
By Car – The best way to get to Tamaricci is by car. And you will have more freedom to explore South Corsica. There is so much to see.
The road to Tamaricciu is very easy.
From the parking along the road A walk downhill is necessary to reach the beach if you park along the road above it (see section later in the article).
By cab – A cab from Porto-Vecchio should cost you between 35 and 45 euros.
By bus – During the summer only (from July 1 to August 31), tourist buses are available. They visit the campsites and drop people off in Palombaggia (morning, early afternoon, late afternoon) – Paying – info here – afterwards you have to walk from Palombaggia.
Parking lots of Tamaricciu beach
There are 3 options for parking:
- At the east end of the beach, there are a few parking spaces along the main road as you can see in the image below. Parking is free. From this parking lot, the access is downhill (see further in the article)
- At the western end of the beach are the restaurants. They have a private parking. You must be a customer of the restaurant to park here – easy access to the beach
- Or you can pay to stay in a parking lot at the west end. From there, easy access to the beach
- Parking lots fill up quickly in summer, so come early
- It is one of the most sought-after beaches in Southern Corsica. In summer, it is therefore overcrowded.
- Visit it sooner or later to enjoy it more.
- The famous “postcard” view is facing west.
- Restaurants in the nearby bays: Palombaggia and Folaca
Where to sleep near Tamaricciu – Hotels and Accommodation
- Near the beach
If you want to stay as close to the beach as possible, you can consider the villas of Casale di Mare. Only 2min walk and you are on the sand!
– see pictures and availability
- Luxury in nature
If you agree to be a little further away, check out the Casa di Luru Bed and Breakfast where you can enjoy excellent services surrounded by nature – see photos and availability
- Less than 10 minutes by car, you will find plenty of accommodation in the south of Porto-Vecchio. For example, the Residence U Pirellu with charming villas, beautiful views and a beautiful pool.
– see pictures and availability
DREAM TRIP TO Corsica
- 7 maps that make planning easier
- 130+ pre-selected locations
- Practical advice
- + 220 photos to help you choose
Tamaricciu Bay – Top view
If you are lucky enough to be able to park for free along the road, you will get a nice gift.
Once you cross (safely) the road, you have a beautiful view from above of the vegetation, turquoise water and giant rocks.
In the picture below, you can see a part of the famous cove on the east side of the beach. You can already see the giant size of the rocks!
In the photo below is the rocky islet of Folacca. Apparently, it is an ideal place for snorkeling.
And if you look to the west, you can see the white sand, some restaurants and the next rocky head called Capu di Acciaju.
I love this view which is a perfect representation of South Corsica:
- small hills plunging into the water
- red rocks
- turquoise water
- white sand
- and a dense green vegetation
FOR QUALITY ADVICE
QUALITY Support us
Do you enjoy all the free content you find on our blog, without intrusive ads?
Our independence, the only guarantee of qualitytips, is partly based on your generosity!
We offer you to give us a coffee (or several) in the hope of sharing it with you one day in person!
Access to the beach of Tamaricciu – path
If you park on the west side (for a fee), you don’t need any explanations to get to the beach.
However, if you have parked in the free spaces along the road, be aware that you have to walk a few minutes.
You will see a trail leading from the road down the hill.
It is a mixture of paths and steps (about 55 steps).
Whenever there is an intersection, we recommend going right.
You will still end up at the beach, but we took a left on the way down and the path was much longer.
And the reward is there! Inviting, isn’t it?
HOW TO GET TO Corsica
Option 1: by ferry
Departure from France and Italy
- See all ferry options in our article
- Compare schedules, prices and availability directly
Advantage: you can take your car!
Option 2: by plane
Airports in Bastia, to visit the North, Figari to visit the South, or Ajaccio convenient for all Corsica.
Postcard – Colombara Point
Start with the famous cove of Tamaricciu, before the arrival of the world.
Once you reach the beach in the photo above, turn left onto the sand. The creek is not far.
It is located on the Point Colombara, the head between the bay of Tamaricciu and the bay of Palombaggia.
As you can see from these photos, the giant blocks are very photogenic.
In addition, there is a lone pine tree guarding the beach. It’s really pretty against the blue sky.
In 1991, a fire damaged the entire area. Most of the vegetation was burned, but this tree remained standing.
And the rocks become more and more red as you continue towards Palombaggia:
Back on the main bay of Tamaricciu, here is the view of the tree from the other side:
PLAN YOUR TRIP TO Corsica
Sand beach in Tamaricciu in South Corsica
The colors of Tamaricciu are absolutely breathtaking. It’s very inviting.
Note that Posidonia leaves can arrive on the beach at any given time, so you never know what a beach will look like until you get there.
As you can see, the sandy area is quite long but not very wide.
Be very respectful of this environment. This beach is fragile and will probably disappear.
There is no river that feeds it and the dune behind is fragile.
A lot of work is being done to try to protect the dune and the beach, but who knows if it will be enough.
Even if you don’t swim, a walk along the clear water is idyllic.
Tamaricciu – Restaurants
At the west end of the beach you can find restaurants and private areas with chairs.
It is a very touristy place, so expect high prices.
We came early, out of season, so it wasn’t all set up yet but the music was already too loud… grrrrr…
WHERE TO SLEEP IN South Corsica
Option 1: Around the famous beaches
- Hotel Mariosa with beach and restaurant – see photos and availability
- Résidence U Pirellu, if you want to be able to cook – see photos and availability
- Hotel L’Alivi Santa Giulia with beautiful views over the bay – see photos and availability
Option 2: in the maquis around Bonifacio
- Hotel Cala di Greco overlooking the citadel! – see prices, pictures and availability
- Hotel A Cheda with its garden and exceptional restaurant – see prices, photos and availability
- Hotel Version Maquis Citadelle (5 stars) – see prices, pictures and availability
Option 3: in Bonifacio itself (citadel or marina)
- Hotel Spa Genovese in the citadel – see prices, photos and availability
- Hotel Santateresa at the top of the citadel – see prices, pictures and availability
- Hotel Solemare and its swimming pool with view! – see prices, pictures and availability
Option 4: in Propriano
- Hotel Aria Marina for convenient apartments with views – see prices, photos and availability
- Hotel Marinca for a little luxury and unforgettable views – see prices, photos and availability
Other beaches to explore near Tamaricciu
The region is full of beautiful beaches. Here are a few to consider for your vacation.
Beach of Palombaggia
Of course, do not miss its neighbor Palombaggia.
It is the most famous beach of Corsica with its white sand and its red rocks.
Beach of Santa Giulia
People who like to spend the day at the beach and do all kinds of activities really appreciate Santa Giulia.
It has all the amenities right next to the beach.
Lots of sand, turquoise water, rocks, kayaking, stand up paddle, snorkeling, scuba diving…. you can do anything!