Fine sand, turquoise waters and orange rocks: would you like to admire the famous beach of Palombaggia in Corsica?
Here is our complete guide to planning your visit:
- how to get there,
- where to park (choice of parking lots),
- the best sections, the
- restaurants and accommodation…
Get ready to see one of the most beautiful beaches in Europe!
Why visit Palombaggia Beach in South Corsica
The beach of Palombaggia is often classified as one of the best beaches in Corsica and Europe.
This is due to the perfect mix of white sand, orange-red rocks and umbrella pines along a beautiful semi-circular cove and turquoise water.
Moreover, on a clear day, you can see the Cerbiales islands on the horizon (which are protected).
Here is a panorama that gives you an idea of what one of the most famous places in Corsica looks like – a postcard:
Virtual Tour – Video
Before giving you information, tips and photos to plan your visit, here is a short video to give you an idea of the place. These images were filmed early in the morning and outside the summer season, so we were lucky enough to be almost alone on the beach!
(Unfortunately it doesn’t look like such a paradise in the middle of the day in summer…)
You can also find it in our articles about the most beautiful beaches of Porto-Vecchio and the most beautiful beaches of Bonifacio.
More pictures after the practical advice.
Where is Palombaggia, How to get there, Access, Map
Location of Palombaggia beach – Map
- in South Corsica, at the southern end of the island
- Porto-Vecchio to Palombaggia – 20min drive
- Bonifacio to Palombaggia beach – 40min drive.
- 10min from the main road T10 via ‘Route de Palombaggia’.
- The region is accessible by car from Ajaccio (3h)
- or by arriving directly at the airport of Figari.
- Here is a map to help you find your way
- And see all our tips for planning a dream trip to Corsica here
It is a 2 km stretch of beach (actually 3 beaches) near the village of Palombaggia.
However Palombaggia often refers to the whole peninsula and includes the famous beach of Tamaricciu just southwest of the peninsula.
Here is a map to help you find your way:
OUR TIPS FOR RENTING A CAR IN Corsica
- Compare prices on our preferred platform: DiscoverCars – one of the best rated sites.
- Choose a car that is powerful enough (the roads are steep) but compact (some passages are narrow).
- Think of thecomplete insurance (some roads are tortuous and narrow).
- There is a lot of demand, book it early.
How to get to Palombaggia beach – Access
By Car – The best way to visit all the amazing beaches and other places in South Corsica is by car. There is so much to see.
By cab – A cab from Porto-Vecchio should cost you between 35 and 45 euros.
By bus – During the summer only (from July 1 to August 31), tourist buses are available. They visit the campsites and drop people off at Palombaggia (morning, early afternoon, late afternoon) – Paying – info here.
By walking – If you have booked a stay in one of the nearby accommodations (see later in the article), you can walk to the beach in 10-30min
Renting a car in Corsica is definitely the best way to visit the region.
This part of the coast has not been too much impacted by construction. So, on the beach, apart from a few restaurants, there are no buildings, only pine trees.
Practical advice – When, where to park, restaurants…
When to visit Palombaggia
As Palombaggia is considered one of the best beaches in Europe, it is totally overcrowded in summer. You definitely won’t feel the magic in the middle of the day, with the summer heat and all the vendors trying to sell you things you don’t need.
But if you are willing to wake up early or if you are able to travel outside of the summer months, then you will be able to enjoy the scenic beauty it has to offer.
Whatever the month, the best time to visit Palombaggia beach is early in the morning or late in the afternoon. When the sun is low, it hits the pink granite, intensifying the pink, red and orange shades of the rocks.
Where to park – Parking lots for the beaches of Palombaggia
Palombaggia has free parking. It is located at the northeast end of the beach.
The road to get there is OK, but the parking lot itself is bumpy and a bit confusing on how to get around.
Note that in summer, in the middle of the day, there is little chance of finding a place. It fills up very quickly.
But it’s free, so that’s great. And it’s right next to the most beautiful part of the beach, in my opinion!
There are other parking lots along the 2 km beach, but you will have to pay a fee because they belong to restaurants.
Often it is a flat rate for the whole day.
DREAM TRIP TO Corsica
- 7 maps that make planning easier
- 130+ pre-selected locations
- Practical advice
- + 220 photos to help you choose
Restaurants on the beach of Palombaggia
You can find several restaurants located along the beach (north, center and south).
The sandy area is not very large and seating is limited. Get there early!
Most of them serve seafood, salads and light meals. Some serve pizza.
Of course, don’t be surprised, the prices are established according to the popularity of the place…
Hotels near Palombaggia beach
Wild camping is not allowed on or near Palombaggia.
The closest housing to Palombaggia is :
- The Sheepfolds of Palombaggia –
Probably the most famous luxury accommodation in the area. It is within walking distance of the beach and offers fantastic views and heated pool
– See photos and availability
- Hotel ambassador Palombaggia –
It is the closest hotel to the beach, it has all the charm of the houses of the south of France with luxury services and great cuisine
– See photos and availability
- Hotel Palombaggia –
It is the second closest hotel to the beach. It offers a beautiful pool, typical architecture and a beautiful garden
– See photos and availability
- And a little further east you can find many other options within a 10min drive from the beach. For example, the Residence U Pirellu with charming villas, beautiful views and a beautiful pool.
– See photos and availability
- There is no camping near the beach. You can find 2 next to the residence U Pirellu – Camping U Pirellu and Camping Bella Vista.
- or See all the accommodations in the area of Palombaggia
FOR QUALITY ADVICE
QUALITY Support us
Do you enjoy all the free content you find on our blog, without intrusive ads?
Our independence, the only guarantee of qualitytips, is partly based on your generosity!
We offer you to give us a coffee (or several) in the hope of sharing it with you one day in person!
On the sand and in the water… practical advice
Palombaggia has one of the most beautiful sands of Corsica.
White or slightly golden depending on the light, it is very thin and pleasant under the feet.
Swimming and water temperature
Palombaggia offers clear waters to enjoy a good swim.
In July and August, the water is really warm and transparent: between 22 and 24°C. Very tempting! It remains above 20°C until the end of October.
It is supervised during the summer season.
Palombaggia with children
It is a beautiful beach to visit with children.
The slope at the beginning is very gentle, great for sitting and playing in the water.
The less young will appreciate the rocks to play on.
And the beach is supervised in summer.
Snorkeling in Palombaggia is an excellent idea.
With the many rocky clusters and clear waters, you can see a lot. Especially since fishing is regulated (it is part of the protected nature reserve of the Bouches de Bonifacio).
The mask and snorkel are sufficient to see many species of fish. Some of them protect themselves well and disappear with the sand while others have the colors of tropical fish.
Not far from the free parking lots, you can also rent snorkeling, windsurfing, kayaking, pedal boat and diving equipment.
HOW TO GET TO Corsica
Option 1: by ferry
Departure from France and Italy
- See all ferry options in our article
- Compare schedules, prices and availability directly
Advantage: you can take your car!
Option 2: by plane
Airports in Bastia, to visit the North, Figari to visit the South, or Ajaccio convenient for all Corsica.
Photos of one of the most beautiful beaches of Corsica
My favorite part of Palombaggia is at the northeast end near the parking lot. This is where you can find most of the pink-red rocks.
Here are some pictures to show you why I loved it!
When you arrive at the beach from the parking lot, turn left towards the large pink granite promontory.
It’s a lot of fun to explore and gives you a little height to see the beauty of the bay.
You can climb and see the different layers of pink granite.
And as you look back towards the beach, you’ll notice how protected it is with stunning dunes and umbrella pines.
We really enjoyed this section, and you can see the whole arch of the beaches, the whole bay to the southern tip of Corsica.
Middle – East
Another area that will be loved by the photographer is more towards the middle. From the free parking lot, turn right.
The rock formation is smaller, but trees have grown just above it.
I love the prospect of moving forward in the water.
Moreover, you can easily walk on the rocks that have been rounded and smoothed by water and erosion. It’s a lot of fun.
To the west
You can continue to the southwest (to the right when facing the water). The further away from the parking, the more space there is on the beach (wider and less crowded). However, it also has far fewer beautiful red rocks.
PLAN YOUR TRIP TO Corsica
The creek between Palombaggia and Tamaricciu
In fact, some of the most famous photos are Palombaggia are with white rocks and with a pine.
These photos are taken at the same location as mine below:
It is a cove located between the beach of Tamarriciu and the beach of Palombaggia. It is part of the Palombaggia peninsula, but for me it is more representative of the beach of Tamaricciu than of the beach of Palombaggia.
Anyway, you can reach from the southwestern end of Palombaggia, just pass over the point to reach it.
It’s quite different from the photos taken on the other side, don’t you think?
WHERE TO SLEEP IN South Corsica
Option 1: Around the famous beaches
- Hotel Mariosa with beach and restaurant – see photos and availability
- Résidence U Pirellu, if you want to be able to cook – see photos and availability
- Hotel L’Alivi Santa Giulia with beautiful views over the bay – see photos and availability
Option 2: in the maquis around Bonifacio
- Hotel Cala di Greco overlooking the citadel! – see prices, pictures and availability
- Hotel A Cheda with its garden and exceptional restaurant – see prices, photos and availability
- Hotel Version Maquis Citadelle (5 stars) – see prices, pictures and availability
Option 3: in Bonifacio itself (citadel or marina)
- Hotel Spa Genovese in the citadel – see prices, photos and availability
- Hotel Santateresa at the top of the citadel – see prices, pictures and availability
- Hotel Solemare and its swimming pool with view! – see prices, pictures and availability
Option 4: in Propriano
- Hotel Aria Marina for convenient apartments with views – see prices, photos and availability
- Hotel Marinca for a little luxury and unforgettable views – see prices, photos and availability
Other beaches of South Corsica
Palombaggia is definitely the most famous beach in the area, but there are many others to visit.
Unfortunately, they are all overcrowded in summer.
For the red rocks – Rondinara
One of my favorites in the bay of Rondinara. IClaire) love the rocks and the colors and there are some very beautiful ones out there.
This range offers different environments depending on what you are looking for.
In the middle is a large stretch of white sand and shallow turquoise water.
At the southern end are small coves and breathtaking colored rocks, while to the north you can find a lagoon just behind the beach.
It is located south of Palombaggia, halfway between Porto-Vecchio and Bonifacio.
See our article on the beach of Rondinara.
Beach of Santa Giulia
People who like to spend the day at the beach and do all kinds of activities really appreciate Santa Giulia.
It has all the amenities right next to the beach.
Lots of sand, turquoise water, rocks, kayaking, stand up paddle, snorkeling, scuba diving…. you can do anything!