Want to go to Corsica in May?
Find out if the region at this time of year will meet your expectations with our comprehensive guide:
- Climate in Corsica in May (temperatures, weather…)
- Swimming conditions: water temperature and wind
- Travel conditions: crowds, prices, openings
- What to do in Corsica in May, special activities and events
BEFORE OUR TIPS + PHOTOS
HERE ARE OUR FAVORITES IN Corsica
Our favorite car rental platform: DiscoverCars
Our guide to planning your road trip: eBook
Our must-do boat trip: Exploring the cliffs of Bonifacio
This guide is completely independent, based on our experiences. We visit the area anonymously, making our own choices, and paying all our bills in full.
Going to Corsica in May: quick answers
Is the weather nice in Corsica in May? Is this a good time to visit?
Yes, the weather is nice in Corsica in May. The days are long and the rains are light, although a little more frequent on the west coast. Temperatures are warm and the sky is generally clear. The climate is perfect for hiking before the summer heat. It is also the swimming season. It is the ideal period to visit Corsica.
Travelling to Corsica in May – summary of conditions
Temperatures are mild, even warm. The thermometer shows an average of 18°C (64°F), and 21°C (70°F) during the day.
In May, the sea temperature is pleasant, around 18°C (64°F). It is suitable for water activities such as swimming, snorkeling, paddling or kayaking.
Crowds and prizes
In May, the tourists start to arrive, but they remain moderately numerous. The rates are higher than during the winter, but you will enjoy better prices than in July and August.
Everything is open in May: attractions, museums and parks, hotels, restaurants.
The sun rises around 6am and sets a little before 9pm.
More tips in our article: Best time to visit Corsica.
Our favorite activities in May
In May, almost everything is open, so the list of ideas is very long…
- Enjoy the mild sunshine while walking on the beaches which remain quite empty
- Explore the villages, the citadels and the city of Sartene
- Take advantage of boat tours in Bonifacio and Piana, to discover exceptional sites
- Hiking – it’s still cool on the heights but it’s nice because you’ll have the hiking trails to yourself, and the waterfalls are flowing nicely at this time.
- And much more…
- See more details later in the article
1. Climate in Corsica in May – weather forecast
The climate of Corsica is Mediterranean. It has dry summers with high temperatures, and rainy but relatively mild winters.
In May, the wind does not blow much on Corsica. The rains are very fine, although more frequent on the west coast. So you can plan your trip without worrying.
We enjoy the warm breezes and the long, relatively sunny days. Temperatures are pleasant in the morning and rise to 21°C (70°F) during the day. It’s the perfect climate for walking on the water or across the island.
Temperatures are also warming up in the mountains. The season is ideal for hiking, before the heat of the summer.
2. Temperatures in Corsica in May
Temperatures in Ajaccio:
- 18°C (64°F) on average
- Number of days above 18°C = 26
Temperatures in Porto-Vecchio:
- 18°C (64°F) on average
- Number of days above 18°C = 23
Temperatures in Calvi:
- 18°C (64°F) on average
- Number of days above 18°C = 25
Temperatures in Bastia:
- 19°C (66°F) on average
- Number of days above 18°C = 28
Temperatures in the mountains
The temperature in the mountains depends on your altitude. In Corte, the thermometer shows an average of 18°C (57°F). The higher you go, the lower the temperatures.
USE OUR GUIDE TO PLAN A
DREAM TRIP TO Corsica
All the information you need for your trip:
- 7 maps that make planning easier
- 130+ pre-selected locations
- Practical advice
- + 220 photos to help you choose
3. Rain in Corsica in May
Rainfall is light all over the island, but more frequent on the west coast.
- Rainfall in Ajaccio: 114 mm
(over 6 days on average)
- Rainfall in Porto-Vecchio: 36 mm
(on average 2 days)
- Amount of rain in Calvi: 103 mm
(over 5 days on average)
- Rainfall in Bastia: 68 mm
(over 4 days on average)
4. Sunshine in Corsica in May
In May, the days are getting longer. The sun rises around 6 am and sets a little before 9 pm, with a sunshine of 14 hours.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
- Get away from it all with Region Lovers’ beautiful destinations!
- Once a month
5. Water temperature – swimming in Corsica in May
May is a good time to swim in Corsica. Discover below the average temperature of the sea.
- Ajaccio: 18°C (64°F) on average
- Porto-Vecchio: 18°C (64°F) on average
- Calvi: 18°C (64°F) on average
- Bastia: 19°C (66°F) on average
6. Wind in Corsica in May
The wind in Corsica depends on the place and the season, but rarely prevents tourist activities. In May, Corsica is less windy than the rest of the year.
The winds are dry and warm. The north is the most exposed region. On the other hand, the east coast remains well protected from the winds.
HOW TO GET TO Corsica
Option 1: by ferry
Option 2: by plane
7. Crowds and other conditions
May is a popular month to visit the island. Some popular coastal towns are already well filled, such as Porto-Vecchio, Bonifacio or Calvi.
Despite this, the crowd of tourists is much smaller than during the summer. The hotel occupancy rate is approximately 55%. It is easy to park or to make reservations in the restaurants. We like to walk the cities and hiking trails before the summer crowds arrive.
All hotels, restaurants and attractions are open. May is the ideal period to visit Corsica.
8. What to do in Corsica in May
Bathing… yes yes!
We like fresh water, it’s very good.
Then the beaches of Corsica in May, we love.
Few people, lots of sunshine and beautiful views!
Explore the villages, the citadels and the city of Sartene
There are not only beaches in Corsica!
The villages, towns and citadels are a must. They have a lot of charm and quite different styles.
Do not miss:
- Calvi and its citadel
- Bonifacio and its citadel on the cliffs
- Sartene, the most Corsican city
- Île-Rousse and its very different charm
- and all the charming villages with stone houses, especially in Balagne.
Enjoy boat tours in Bonifacio and Piana
2 of the most beautiful boat tours to do are those:
Feel a boost of adrenaline: canyoning, via ferrata…
There are great activities to enjoy the Corsican landscape even more:
To the South:
- Canyoning initiation in Pulischellu – see pictures, details and availability
- Complete canyoning experience in Pulischellu – see details and availability
- Or sport canyoning in Purcaraccia – see details and availability
- Via Ferrata near Porto_Vecchio – see photos, details and availability
- Sea kayaking near Propriano (west coast) – see pictures, details and availability
- Sea kayaking under the cliffs of Bonifacio – see pictures, details and availability
And in the North:
- Diving and snorkeling – learn to dive in Calvi and discover the sea bed! – see program and availability
- Quad between sea and mountain – see program and availability
- Canyoning in beautiful valleys, including the Fango valley – see programs and availability
- Via Ferrata to cling to the mountain walls with breathtaking views. There are different courses depending on your level (including juniors) – see programs and availability
- Rafting with 2 levels of intensity depending on your adrenaline search (family or X-tra) – see programs and availability
And much more…
And the list of things to do is long: food, Corsican songs, hiking…
See our article on the best things to do in Corsica
9. May events in Corsica
- Procession of the Black Christ in Bastia
Every May 3, the crucifix of the Black Christ of Miracles is honored. It was found at sea in 1428. The ceremony includes a procession to the port.
- New oil festival in Sainte-Lucie-de-Tallan
The city welcomes 5,000 people for two days of the fair. Olive oil is celebrated through mill tours, demonstrations and the sale of local products.
PLAN YOUR TRIP TO Corsica
- The most beautiful beaches of Corsica
- The most beautiful villages of Corsica
- The most beautiful cities of Corsica
- The most beautiful destinations in Corsica
- The museums of Corsica
- Hidden gems in Corsica
- The most beautiful natural pools
- What to do in North Corsica
- Best things to do in South Corsica
- Canyoning in Corsica
10. Prices in May
As everywhere, prices vary depending on what you are looking for. The accommodations offered are very diverse, from camping to 5 star hotels. It is therefore difficult to give a budget.
In May, the high tourist season began. The rates are higher than in winter but still more interesting than in July and August. Beware: prices go up during weekends, holidays and in the most popular cities such as Calvi, Porto-Vecchio or Ajaccio.
Book as soon as possible to get the best rates!