Want to go to Corsica in April?
Find out if the region at this time of year will meet your expectations with our comprehensive guide:
- Climate in Corsica in April (temperatures, weather…)
- Swimming conditions: water temperature and wind
- Travel conditions: crowds, prices, openings
- What to do in Corsica in April, special activities and events
BEFORE OUR TIPS + PHOTOS
HERE ARE OUR FAVORITES IN Corsica
Our favorite car rental platform: DiscoverCars
Our guide to planning your road trip: eBook
Our must-do boat trip: Exploring the cliffs of Bonifacio
This guide is completely independent, based on our experiences. We visit the area anonymously, making our own choices, and paying all our bills in full.
Going to Corsica in April: quick answers
Is the weather nice in Corsica in April? Is this a good time to visit?
Yes, the weather is relatively nice in Corsica in April. The north of the island is subject to sometimes strong winds, and rains are a little more frequent on the west coast. On the other hand, the temperatures are very mild and the summer heat has not yet arrived: ideal for hiking. It is a good time to visit Corsica.
Travelling to Corsica in April – summary of conditions
The temperatures are very mild. The thermometer shows an average of 15°C (59°F), and 18°C (64°F) during the day.
In April, the sea is cool, around 15°C (59°F). Those who are not so cold will be able to swim with an adapted wetsuit.
Crowds and prizes
There are not many tourists in Corsica in April. Rates are higher than in winter, but you will enjoy much better prices than in summer.
Everything is open in April: attractions, museums and parks, hotels, restaurants.
The sun rises before 7am and sets around 8pm.
More tips in our article: Best time to visit Corsica.
Our favorite activities in April
In April, some activities start again but not everything is open yet, we like:
- Enjoy the mild sunshine while walking on the beaches which remain quite empty
- Explore the villages, the citadels and the city of Sartene
- Take advantage of boat tours in Bonifacio and Piana, to discover exceptional sites
- Hiking – it’s still cool on the heights but it’s nice because you’ll have the hiking trails to yourself, and the waterfalls are flowing nicely at this time.
- And much more…
- See more details later in the article
OUR TIPS FOR RENTING A CAR IN Corsica
- Compare prices on our preferred platform: DiscoverCars – one of the best rated sites.
- Choose a car that is powerful enough (the roads are steep) but compact (some passages are narrow).
- Think of thecomplete insurance (some roads are tortuous and narrow).
- There is a lot of demand, book it early.
1. Climate in Corsica in April – weather forecast
The climate of Corsica is Mediterranean. It has dry summers with high temperatures, and rainy but relatively mild winters.
In April, the winter and spring winds continue to blow north and west. The rains are very fine, although more frequent on the west coast. Temperatures are pleasant in the morning, with the thermometer reading up to 18°C (64°F) during the day. Ideal for walks across the island.
Finally, temperatures are also rising in the mountains. We take the opportunity to admire their beautiful landscapes. It is the ideal season for hiking, before the hot summer weather.
2. Temperatures in Corsica in April
Temperatures in Ajaccio:
- 14°C (57°F) on average
- Number of days above 18°C = 14
Temperatures in Porto-Vecchio:
- 15°C (59°F) on average
- Number of days above 18°C = 6
Temperatures in Calvi:
- 14°C (57°F) on average
- Number of days above 18°C = 12
Temperatures in Bastia:
- 16°C (61°F) on average
- Number of days above 18°C = 14
Temperatures in the mountains
The temperature in the mountains depends on your altitude. In Corte, the thermometer shows an average of 14°C (57°F). The higher you go, the lower the temperatures get.
USE OUR GUIDE TO PLAN A
DREAM TRIP TO Corsica
All the information you need for your trip:
- 7 maps that make planning easier
- 130+ pre-selected locations
- Practical advice
- + 220 photos to help you choose
3. Rain in Corsica in April
Rainfall is light all over the island, but more frequent on the west coast.
- Rainfall in Ajaccio: 100 mm
(over 6 days on average)
- Rainfall in Porto-Vecchio: 50 mm
(on average 2 days)
- Quantity of rain in Calvi: 95 mm
(over 6 days on average)
- Rainfall in Bastia: 57 mm
(over 4 days on average)
4. Sunshine in Corsica in April
In April, the sun rises around 6:45 am and sets around 8 pm, with 13 hours of sunshine.
FOR QUALITY ADVICE
QUALITY Support us
Do you appreciate all the free content you find on our blog?
Our independence, the only guarantee of qualitytips, is partly based on your generosity!
We offer you to give us a coffee (or several) in the hope of sharing it with you one day in person!
5. Water temperature – swimming in Corsica in April
April is not the best time to swim in Corsica, unless you have a suitable wetsuit. Discover below the average temperature of the sea.
- Ajaccio: 15°C (59°F) on average
- Porto-Vecchio: 15°C (59°F) on average
- Calvi: 15°C (59°F) on average
- Bastia: 15°C (59°F) on average
6. Wind in Corsica in April
The wind in Corsica depends on the place and the season, but rarely prevents tourist activities. In April, it blows harder.
The north is more exposed than the south. Indeed, the tramontana and the mistral, violent winds, can blow for several days. A dry and hot wind from the Sahara blows to the south of the island. On the other hand, the east coast remains well protected from the winds.
HOW TO GET TO Corsica
Option 1: by ferry
Option 2: by plane
7. Crowds and other conditions
April is a moderately popular month to visit the island. Porto-Vecchio is still very little frequented, but the other cities see a little more tourists. Despite this, the occupancy rate remains at 42%.
We like to walk the cities and hiking trails before the summer crowds arrive.
All hotels, restaurants and attractions are open. April is a good time to visit Corsica.
8. What to do in Corsica in April
Not everything is open yet in April, but the island is waking up for the summer.
Soak your feet in water
We like to put our feet in fresh water, it feels good.
Then the beaches of Corsica in April, we love.
Few people, lots of sunshine and beautiful views!
Explore the villages, the citadels and the city of Sartene
There are not only beaches in Corsica!
The villages, towns and citadels are a must. They have a lot of charm and quite different styles.
Do not miss:
- Calvi and its citadel
- Bonifacio and its citadel on the cliffs
- Sartene, the most Corsican city
- Île-Rousse and its very different charm
- and all the charming villages with stone houses, especially in Balagne.
Enjoy boat tours in Bonifacio and Piana
2 of the most beautiful boat tours to do are those:
And much more…
And the to-do list is long, even if not everything is open.
9. April events in Corsica
- Procession of Catenaccio in Sartene
This spectacular procession takes place on Good Friday. It dates from the 13th century and brings together thousands of people. A masked penitent follows a path inspired by that of Christ, cross on his back and chains on his feet.
- Holy Week and Easter celebrations
The island has several other celebrations on Holy Thursday or Good Friday. They invest the streets in Corte, Calvi, Bonifacio, Erbalunga and Brando. Corsica also celebrates Easter Monday in Cargèse.
- Venaco Cheese Fair
This fair celebrates and promotes the rural cheese economy. Its cheeses and other Corsican artisanal products attract thousands of visitors at the end of April.
- Carnival of Ajaccio
Floats and carnavaliers invade the streets of Ajaccio for the pleasure of about 30 000 spectators.
- Art’è Gustu in Bonifacio
This festival of Corsican gastronomy welcomes up to 20 000 people in April.
PLAN YOUR TRIP TO Corsica
10. Prices for the month of April
As everywhere, prices vary depending on what you are looking for. The accommodations offered are very diverse, from camping to 5 star hotels. It is therefore difficult to give a budget.
In April, Corsica is moderately frequented. The rates are therefore lower than in the summer. Please note: prices are higher during weekends, holidays, spring break and in the most popular cities.
Book as soon as possible to get the best rates!